Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,310Gear list
That was quick ...
Sep 25, 2012

I have been struggling with the overwhelming instinct that the J1 was a mistake, and today I decided to let my viscera have the day ... the J1 is back sitting on a shelf at Henrys, along with the FT1 ...

I really enjoyed it as a compact replacement, except when I carried it around with me. Then I realized that it was almost as inconvenient as the D7000, hanging there from my shoulder. I love shooting distant objects at huge magnification, but the quality of the current m4/3 sensors makes cropping for 2.7x quite viable at the same quality as Nikon 1.

So what is left? The answer came back that it is a great little cam with an incomplete set of lenses ... and a very unclear level of commitment from the mother ship.

My final thought was that, if I am going to carry a fairly small, but not pocketable, camera around with me with lenses that are not useful on any other body, then I might as well shoot a sensor with image quality to rival my D7000. Because I was already starting to make that choice ... which one to take?

Too big a gulf in image quality ... and in the end I could not think of the J1 as just a compact. It cost me almost a grand, and for that money why would I not buy the D3200 if a smaller camera was the goal? In fact, that almost makes sense ... I still have a wicked sharp copy of the 18-200VR floating around ...

And so it goes ... I had a really good time getting to know the system and I enjoyed the forum, despite its being mostly comatose

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D3200 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow