Can't decide: Panasonic LUMIX 20mm f/1.7 OR the new Olympus 45mm f/1.8?

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ultilil
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Re: Can't decide: Panasonic LUMIX 20mm f/1.7 OR the new Olympus 45mm f/1.8?
In reply to ultilil, Sep 24, 2012

Thank everyone, for your incredibly helpful suggestions and opinions.

Here's a summary of the responses:

Many people noted that both lenses are great and to either get both or one and then the other.
In terms of only one lens, here is the breakdown:
20mm Panny: 8 ppl
45 mm Oly: 10 ppl
14 mm Panny: 5 ppl

Some suggested waiting for the new 17mm Oly as well, and some also suggested the 9-18mm Oly as an alternative to both.

Major arguments for the 20mm Panny:

• More versatile for general, all-day shooting,

• Better for indoor close-range shooting.

45mm Oly:

• Best for serious portraiters, though good for certain types of architecture shooting, etc.

• Very sharp images and fast speed and great in low light (though not at close range).

So it seems that it comes down to whether I want a more specialized lens in addition to my kit lens for special shooting, or something to generally replace my kit lens for better quality everyday use.

I am still making my decision, but I may end up with the 45mm as a treat for myself, and deal with my kit lens for now until some more alternatives come out and then get a good pancake lens (either the 20mm or a newer model).

I appreciate all of the input!

ultilil's gear list:ultilil's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow