Warning about Aperture 3.4 update

Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Terrance Vacha
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Re: update on Aperture reinstall
In reply to Terrance Vacha, Sep 24, 2012

Ok, I seem to be one of those folks that, according to one of the geniuses, has a partially compromised Library that the old Aperture would tolerate but the new one would not.

After Aperture 4's attempt to "update" my library, it instead totally corrupted my library. The only alternative was to:

1. delete Aperture (again)
2. install my Ap 3.0 from CD
3. find Ap 3.3 update on web and install that

4. reinstall an old Library from Time Machine (5 hrs) and see if it works, If not, go back in time over and over until I find a version of my Library that will work with Ap 3.3

5. break my library into smaller libraries so that if there is a section of my photos that will not work with Ap 3.4, at least it will be isolated
6. Run repair and rebuild on all the individual libraries
7. Back up
8. try to reinstall Ap 3.4 and see if my libraries will be accepted.

If not, I guess I am stuck back with Ap 3.3 or wait until there is a good fix from Apple.

I have now done steps 1 to 7 and will take a "time out" of a few days until I try Ap 3.4 again.

Thank God I have the library working again, whew, even though with the old version of Aperture.

Terrance Vacha wrote:

The problem is NOT fixed. After using my new REINSTALLED Aperture 3.4 and external library successfully for 3 times, now today, I have the same problem AGAIN -- Aperture will not load my Library. If I get a personal fix for my situation, I will repost -- this is really aggravating -- the old mantra that the reason to get a Mac was that it "just worked" -- is not the case if one has to keep checking online for work-arounds. aaaagh!

Terrance Vacha's gear list:Terrance Vacha's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow