Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,821
Like?
For what I shoot, what would you buy?
Sep 24, 2012

I've broken down my photography into basically two things for 90% of it, residential architecture shots(interiors and exteriors for my own portfolio (I am an architect)), which don't need to be up to Architectural Digest standards, just 'good enough' for client viewing, and my little 1 1/2 year old, indoors and out, summer and winter. Again, amateur status as you can see.

I currently shoot a K-r with the da 15mm and the Sigma 10-20mm for the architecture, along with a lot of pp in Photoshop to stretch perspectives, some old glass manually, and the da35mm and kit lens for the family stuff.

I may sell the K-r, mostly due to the tungsten focus issues, bad live view, and a few other quirks. I do love the weight of it though.

I have two routes that are in the running, the k-30, mostly due to focus peaking (for my old glass) and better video (which I would use more of if it worked better), better focusing, focus tracking, and better live view. This keeps my process the same for the most part, just upgraded. Doesn't really do much for the architecture end, just an overall better experience hopefully.

The other is a bigger stretch, the d600 with the new Samyang TS, and then a Pentax Q for a second camera. This would allow me possibly better architecture framed shots without so much distortion in perspective correction and then a light weight kit when I am out with the kid, which is the only time it's really a concern. Kind of both ends of the spectrum vs. one middle weight system for everything. I could also use the d600 indoors and possibly out for occasions where weight isn't a big concern. I know I am not up to d600 level skill wise, but for architecture guys, a T/S that may be affordable is the holy grail. Although my current process is probably good enough, I don't know until I know if the TS option is better for me, ya know.:-)

Price is obviously not equal, so do I gain enough with option 2, or just do the k-30, maybe get the 21 or 40mm for light weight, and keep on with the heavy PP for the architecture? Doing only one system has many advantages and with the pancakes, is still pretty small, and more affordable.

Nikon D600 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow