Why insist on FF format?

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,693Gear list
Like?
Re: Why insist on FF format?
In reply to sansbury, Sep 24, 2012

sansbury wrote:

• Print as a market is dying. Even for the glossy books like Vogue that may survive intact (which are a small fraction of the pro market even now), the limiting factor is more likely to be their printing press than the camera's sensor.

time for new POD printing technologies maybe? I'm a bit surprised that the digital printers like Blurb etc. haven't changed much over the last 5 years when it comes to printing technology. Lots of room for improvement there compared to real photos, but maybe there is insufficient market to justify the investments.

• The Web places a greater premium on video, and display resolutions are increasing much more slowly than sensor capabilities.

I doubt that, although there are some issues holding display resolutions back, like the capabilities of older PC's/graphics chips and display interfaces. 4K displays are available now, producing them is not really more expensive than the HDTV screens of today once production is running. I think display resolutions will make a big jump in de next few years. Keep in mind that with a 4K display, when using 2x zoom you will be looking at the pixel level, many cameras don't look really good at that level nowadays. And 8K and other hires formats are already in the prototype stage ... OLED panels with their huge contrast ratio and color space will also me more demanding for the images that are displayed.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow