Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,388Gear list
Like?
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 conflicting reviews
Sep 24, 2012

So I know this lens is a compromise and that the Tokina offering is thought to be better, but this lens is right at my price point.

I have seen some pretty confusing and contradictory reviews of the lens. Some say it is better than the newer f3.5 constant aperture one from Sigma, some worse.

Some say that edge sharpness is very poor at all apertures, some say it sharpens up nicely by f8 even at the edges, some say edge sharpness is good even by 5.6

The review on this site is one of the most negative I have read, and other sites have rated the lens better than DPR.

I know at this price I can expect distortion, CA, light fall off and centres to be sharper than edges, but just how bad/good is the lens, especially in terms of sharpness?

I've also seen some mention of "the known aperture problem" with this lens - what is that?!

Thanks a lot in advance ! And I am going to use it on Sony mount, so there is no HSM...

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow