ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Simon Warner
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Setup for Borneo?
Sep 24, 2012

Hi all -

I'm shortly losing my job as an IT professional and for a long time I've been thinking about trying to be a pro photographer. So far, everything I read about the state of the industry has put me off, but my life has taken a bizarre twist that changes everything.

My wife is interviewing for a job in Borneo next year and if she gets the job, I will be unlikely to find employment out there. So my thoughts are to just go for the photography thing (it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so if I don't try it now then I will always regret it...).

So with that in mind - and putting aside any preconceptions about the difficulties of making a living - what would your shopping list be? I don't have an unlimited budget so I can't afford the best of everything (the Canon 500mm F4 @ £8500 is probably out!) but I am interested to understand what a workable, practical set-up might cost (lenses, bodies, lighting, storage, filters, tripods, etc.)

Also, do you consider that there might be a niche market for a photographer permanently based in such a remote and beautiful part of the world?

I would be incredibly grateful for any constructive feedback you would be kind enough to offer.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow