Why insist on FF format?

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,703
Like?
Surprised you would question common knowledge
In reply to Anders W, Sep 24, 2012

I give you a few names I remember, because those are my most used lenses: Canon FD 28mm/2.0, Canon FD 100mm/2.8, Panagor 90mm/2.8, Canon FD 35-105mm/3.5, Nikon 180mm/2.8, Konica 135mm/2.5. I did a lot of testing, so I can find a dozen more. I don't mention Pen FT 40mm/1.4 because it's half frame, but interestingly enough it easily beats 45mm/1.8 m4/3 lens. Out of m4/3 I remember testing the popular 14-45mm, it managed around 50 l/mm fully open on the long end (i.e. at a dismal F5.6), which pretty much corresponds to the other reports. I must say that practically every manual lens I tested could pass 60 l/mm at F5.6, even zooms. I haven't yet tested the medium format lenses, but I know a number of Mamiyas measured 100-120 l/mm. The m4/3 can't even match those resolution numbers, while it needs many time more.

Anders W wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

iv) Lenses: I have plenty of FF primes that resolve at least 60 l/mm fully open, where are m4/3 lenses with 120 l/mm wide open?

Which of your FF primes resolve at least 60 l/mm fully open and on the basis of what evidence do you know that they do so?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow