For K5 owners: does the AA model motivate you to upgrade and why?

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
tigrebleu
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020
Like?
Not always true.
In reply to Pentax_Prime, Sep 24, 2012

Pentax_Prime wrote:

I can tell you the best studio portrait photographers aren't using an APS-C camera for their work - AA filter or not. The only reason most will buy the K-52s over the K-52 is resolution and clarity in landscape.

Annie Lebowitz, known for her numerous Vogue magazine and Rolling Stone magazine covers, is now using an EOS 7D, because she says "the APS-C has reached the level of quality she needs for prints in magazines". She's gone from film medium format to FF digital to APS-C digital.

The big plus in favor of the FF for portrait is the reduced DOF provided by the non-cropped sensor. Indeed, while on a FF, a good old 85mm F/1.4 give you a certain DOF, you need a 50mm F/1.4 to stick to the same field of view on APS-C, which increases the DOF you get. Although it won't matter at times (maybe you'll want to shoot with the lens stopped down), it will matter when looking for shallow DOF.

So while many photographers have adopted the FF cameras over the APS-C because of DOF control, many others have chosen the MF (and lately, the D800E) exactly because of its lack of AA filter, which provides much more detail in eyelashes, irises, etc.

I personally talked to two pros who switched from the 5DII to the D800E for their studio portrait work, as the lack of AA filter improved the rendition of detail they were looking for in their pictures. Before, they had switched from the D700 or the 5D Mk I to the 5DII because of its weaker AA filter and its higher resolution.

Still, a lot of photographers have adopted the FF because of its professional appeal on the clients. Indeed, it's often hard to look professional when shooting with a D3100. Using a D800 or 5DIII may make you look like a more seasoned photographer.

However, I also read on a photographer's blog that he switched to a Phase One 645 system because he was tired of having clients trying to show him how to use his camera (an EOS 5DII), simply because the clients were personally using the same camera. That's the backlash of affordable FF DSLRs. Amateurs can now use them as well, and they suddenly think that makes them pros because pros use the same DSLR.

Although it's still craft, creativity and professionalism that makes the professional what she/he is (and not the camera), many people still think the camera plays a huge role, which isn't fair to the pro. The camera does play a role, but just one role among many others.

-- hide signature --

If photography can be considered like painting, then I'm still at the preschool "paint with your fingers" level.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow