Hogan's Photokina: DX/APS-C sure looks forelorn.

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
digitallollygag
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
Re: Hogan's Photokina: DX/APS-C sure looks forelorn.
In reply to Deleted1929, Sep 24, 2012

sjgcit wrote:

The vast majority of camera purchases ( including DSLRs at all levels ) are made by consumers with absolutely no interest in Sunny F16. What they do want is connectivity with all their other gadgets ( and even pro photographers want that ). This is one of the IT-related areas that the traditional camera makers have fallen behind in. They've made what amounts to token gestures at this, while the average camera phone makes them look like they're going in reverse, never mind moving forward.

Your phone can email an image, send it direct to Facebook ( or whatever ). Can your camera ?

And when I'm carrying my phone and it's not being used to phone people I can do other things with it ( like listen to music ). Can I do that with a camera ?

People don't want a camera that's just a camera. They want a camera that replaces the other gadgets as well. The only people who don't get that are camera makers.

Think of this. Large sensor cameras are getting smaller. So how long before a phone company ( and they do understand innovation and consumers ) decides to plonk a large sensor camera ( ala RX100 ) onto a phone ( well just put the tiny phone electronics into the cameras ) ? Who'll buy those - a lot of people. Who'll buy "just a camera" instead ?

If Nikon and Canon don't get on the train quickly, they'll be left in a ghost town, slowly dying out and living on smaller and smaller sales. Like Leica and Kodak.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

+1

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D100 Olympus E-410 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow