Flat view
FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
Macro shots from Olympus 60mm, using the Metz macro flash
Sep 24, 2012

Images recorded at the following link:

http://www.pbase.com/fjp/60mmm_2012_09_23

These are all macro or near macro shots taken with the MFT Olympus 60mm on the OM-D body. 20 out of the 53 images are 1:1 crops of the previous image. All of the crops have "crop" appended to the image name. This makes it easy for anyone bored by pixel peeping to skip the crops. I won't comment on any of the crops (except the last).

The first few (except for the very first) start out at f/8, followed by a few at f/11, and the rest are all at f/16, including the first image. I wanted to see if I could notice any image degradation at this very small f/stop. I guess I need to bone up on recognizing diffraction because I don't know what to look for. Possibly just reduced resolution? Frankly, all the f/16 crops do look a little fuzzy, although the full images look pretty good. I guess I need to make a 15"x20" print of one of these f/16 shots to see if they stand up.

All these images (except the last two) are of plants growing in my front yard or the cul-de-sac, hence they are all three-dimensional subjects. This is why I wanted to photograph them at f/16, to have a good depth of field.

The camera was hand-held for all images, made possible by illuminating the subjects with the Metz 15 MS-1 macro flash. The flash made it possible to set ISO at 200 for all images. It was a clear, sunny day, and some images were fully illuminated by sunlight, so in spite of the f/16 and ISO 200 settings, the sun did contribute to a few of the exposures.

I noticed very little focus searching in this macro range, which differs from my initial experience with this lens. Why? Do lenses "break in" or am I just getting better at something?

These are my personal favorites: 1 12 21 25 33 37 42 47 61 63 68

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow