Can't decide: Panasonic LUMIX 20mm f/1.7 OR the new Olympus 45mm f/1.8?

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ultilil
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Can't decide: Panasonic LUMIX 20mm f/1.7 OR the new Olympus 45mm f/1.8?
Sep 24, 2012

Hi helpful community,

As a semi-novice photographer without a big budget, I'm trying to find a lens I will use often with my Olympus EP-3, with good low-light quality and somewhat shallow depth of field and portability, and that won't totally break the bank.

I know these two lenses are different, but I"m coveting them both, and can only afford one right now.

I do take a fair amount of portraits and I love the bokeh of the Oly, but I also travel a lot so a pancake lens is also convenient and maybe more versatile (these are the things I don't know)?

I suppose my real issue is that at first glance, in many aspects these two lenses seem possibly redundant, and maybe just one of them will satisfy my needs, or is there something truly fundamental that I would be missing if I bought one but no the other? And which of those fundamental things is more essential to a good lens collection?

The other lenses I already own are: the Oly 14-42mm zoom kit lens, and the Oly 40-150mm zoom lens.

I have also been looking at the Panasonic Lumix 14mm, which seems a step below the 20mm, but another possible additional purchase if I got the Oly 45mm.

Any advice, or other suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks!

ultilil's gear list:ultilil's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow