Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gary R.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,185
Like?
LX7 and third-party batteries; good news
Sep 24, 2012

After searching for several weeks for a definitive answer on whether the LX7 shares the feature-crippling battery situation of the LX5 (no battery level indicator, no sleep mode, powers off suddenly/unexpectedly leaving lens extended), I though I should post this so others will know.

The good news is that the LX7 does not have the limitations, and third-party batteries do work with both the battery indicator and sleep mode. The batteries I tried are two I bought when my LX5 was brand-new, when nobody knew that they wouldn't work properly, so they're not the recent "coded" ones advertised for the LX5.

As far as I can tell, everything functions normally with the generic third-party battery, unless there's something hidden that will be discovered later, but I doubt that. It appears that both the FZ200 and the LX7 show Panasonic's new "awareness" that people don't like sleazy measures that force them to buy overpriced OEM products. Now it's a personal decision, as it should be.

I know there were several others besides me who said they'd buy no (more) Panasonic cameras that had that camera-crippling battery "feature", so I thought it would be good to post this for information purposes.

Now, if they'd just be truly "repentant" and publish firmware for the LX5, GH2, and FZ150 that restores them to being fully functional with third-party batteries and the owner being able to choose whether or not to accept the "risk" of third party batteries, they'd earn a lot of respect, but either way, at least they seem to be on the right track.
--
Gary
Photo albums: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow