Nikkor 50mm Debate

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
rapick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,881
Like?
Re: Nikkor 50mm the 2 I use for concerts...
In reply to Josh Jones, Sep 23, 2012

Josh Jones wrote:

I am currently looking for a 50mm to use primarily for low light photography. I am getting into concert photography [...]

• 50mm 1.2 (probably overkill, due to DOF, probably wont go to 1.2 and not sure what the aperture ring allows: 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 2.8, etc... , therefore, I may not be able to shoot at 1.6, 2.2, etc)

• 50mm 1.4 d (fairly cheap, found a used copy for $80 more than a new 1.8d, has the ability to AF, faster than 1.8, but probably will keep it at the 1.8 to

I use both for my concert and theatre "work".

• 50/1.2 AIS: yes, it is hard to focus in low light - but the "feel" of its focus ring is simply fantastic - a pleasure to use - and when you 'nail' the focus, images are superb. - BTW: aperture stops are at: 1.2 - 1.4 - 2 - 2.8 - ... but does it really matter?

• 50/1.4 AF-D: feels like a toy, in comparison - nevertheless even at full aperture images are normally "excellent" - AF works quite dependably, with my D200

NOTE: for concert photography I use also a 18/2.8 (AF), a 24/2 (MF), a 135/2 (MF) and a zoom 80-200/2.8: the two tele are the most used (you may have a look at my gallery)

• Regarding the katzeye, [...]

No, I had the "split image" device on my old film camera. It just creates many more problems than the one it helps to solve.

And about the "electronic rangefinder": I learned to trust my feeling of the image in the viewfinder much more than the green led. (now I see a much better implementation of ERF in my D700, though).

Best regards.
--
Rapick
Albums: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow