Why insist on FF format?

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,240
Like?
Re: OMD Vs D800
In reply to kelly15, Sep 23, 2012

kelly15 wrote:

Back in film days the main reason to have 1.4 lenses was not because of DOF but because of low sensitivity of films and dark view in the finder: do you remenber?

Certainly that was one reason, but I think the more creative photographer actively pursued the shallow DOF look when required.

Shot at 1,4 or 2,0 was to be avoided because of low quality of images and insufficient DOF. Only in rare cases (almost by night) we worked so open.

Again, that implies a kind of routine technique, where a photographer goes by arbitrary rules rather than thinking of the result they achieved. the counter argument of course is the fast lenses which achieved a big reputation for particular type of rendering wide open, a valued reputation and one that just wouldn't have occurred had people not been using them wide open. I'm thinking the Zeiss Sonnar, and Topcon Topcor, even that Canon 58 1.2.

I own several copies of the Nikon contest catalog of 70ies and 80ies where data are indicated and no or very few prized pictures were taken more open than f. 3.5.

That doesn't really mean a lot.
--
Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow