ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lasse Eisele
Senior MemberPosts: 1,616
Like?
G3 goes to Lapland (with a V1)
Sep 23, 2012

Hi there,

I intended to buy a D800 but got tired of waiting and purchased a used G3 for less than 1/10 of the price in early summer. A few weeks ago, I took the G3 along with a Nikon V1 on my annual big hike to the Sarek national park in Swedish Lapland. Sarek is the closest you get to true wilderness in Western Europe and also my favourite place on earth, although the weather is generally poor..

I brought the mZD 9-18 and ZD 50/2.0 macro for the G3 and the 30-110 tele zoom for the V1 (that lens is the only reason I'm keeping my V1 – m4/3 has nothing to compete with it). I also brought a Gorillapod and remote releases for low light shots.

As it turned out, I never used the macro lens and the pod. Time is limited when you're hiking with non-photographers.

My verdict on the G3? Image quality is great under the right conditions, i e relatively low contrast. Dynamic range was worse than expected, however. I used exposure bracketing most of the time but still ran into trouble. Worst of all was the ugly highlight clipping.

I also had problems with the tiny controls and frequently pressed the wrong button (trying to change settings whilst looking through the viewfinder). My ancient G1 is much better ergonomically, just wish it would deliver better image quality.

Here are some G3 pics:

Believe me, the water was cold. I was the informal leader of the group and I spent at least 15 minutes in the stream, trying to find a safe way across. It took me two days until I got warm again.

Finally, if you don't mind (or even if you do mind), a few images from the V1:

Hope you enjoyed my paradise.

Regards
Lasse

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow