Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
j.m.young
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Re: Best telephoto zoom lens for Olympus om-d e-m5
In reply to Pikme, Sep 23, 2012

Pikme wrote:

gandalfII wrote:

The oly 40-150 is very capable and incredible value. To get better IQ you have to go to the oly 43 50-200 plus adapter which is a "magic" lens but big, heavy, expensive and slow focusing on m43.

No, the 75-300 has better IQ than the 40-150. But it is slow lens (F4.8 - f6.7) and expensive (frequently on sale for $750), and somewhat large for m4/3 format.

For value, the 40-150 (frequently on sale for $99 -$149) is hard to beat. And it is small and has nice IQ, particularly 40-100 range. It has nice 'character' rendering.

The 75-300 is equal parts terrific and frustrating lens, with good sharpness, color and contrast, but takes practice for handholding, not good on tripod (no collar), and slow apertures are sometimes - not always - but sometimes a problem. For me, the tripod issues cause the most grief; when I give up and use it as a handholding lens, I really enjoy it.

In the end, I prefer the 75-300 over the 40-150 if I am shooting nature/wildlife, while preferring the much smaller 40-150 for city walks or travel.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

I love the 75-300 its my most used lens. I also have the 100-300. People always say the 75-300 is a slow lens and it is but they forget to mention it is very fast to focus and is lighter then the 100-300. I have no trouble hand holding either lens but do try and brace myself against a tree or Pole when I can.

The one and only thing I really don't like about the 75-300 is mine has bad lens creep. That might be the cost of that silky smooth zoom but it seems Olympus would have but a lens lock on it for the price they charge for this lens.

To the OP I would buy the 75-300. You would have a long FL and as someone else mentioned you really can do a lot of cropping if needed.

j.m.young's gear list:j.m.young's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow