Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,568Gear list
Like?
SX50 - Opinions of a hobbyist
Sep 23, 2012

I'm just a hobbyist, but also a "zoom addict" ! Contrary to some "expert" opinions, I think a big zoom lets one get outstanding details from landscapes, buildings, churches, airliners... But as important as the zoom is to me the VR or IS, and that's because I usually shot with the hand held camera.

Because I'm not a brand attached guy, initially I've had some Olympus cameras (SP800, SP810) ; then I got a Nikon P510 because of its superb IQ and IS, like you see in this example from the center of Muenchen:

The monk on the tower at 42X zoom, hand held camera:

I'd like to add that the digital zoom (2X) is also usable (an exception as far as I know).

Now if Canon SX50 can provide at least such level of IQ and IS, I'll definitely go for it! What I already like about that camera, just from readings: the 50X optical plus 4X digital, giving probably a usable 200X (!!!); the nice filter adaptor, just a ring. What I'm indifferent to: RAW (I shoot JPEG only), hot shoe, EVF (I use the LCD, would like a 900000 one like Nikon's). Now what I DON'T like: the absurd limitations of ISO in the M mode (manual, page 152). Why on earth all the brands put now these ABSURD limitations (Nikon also)?!? I bought some years ago a tiny Canon SX210IS: it's a jewel! In the M mode you can set the shutter speed, aperture and ISO as you like, without any restriction!

I'm expecting now the first serious SX50 samples...

Thank you for your attention and happy shooting everyone,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Nikon Coolpix P510
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow