ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert F. Tobler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107Gear list
Like?
First Weekend with the DP1M
Sep 23, 2012

Dear fellow Sigma enthusiasts...

After two days with the Sigma DP1M, here are my observations. I state them in comparison to the DP2M which I own as well:

• whereas the DP2M has a slight green cast (easliy corrected with +2M in SPP), the DP1M has a slight magenta cast (1C+1Y in SPP)

• the DP1M does not seem to suffer from green vignetting at all (there is a slight tendency of the DP2M to suffer from it)

• the DP1M has noticeable chromatic aberration (at least for pixel-peepers such as myself), but it is correctable in software (since Lightroom 4 has no manual mode, I sometimes use both Lightroom 4 and Photoshop 5.5 ca correction)

• the overall workflow for maximising image quality is a bit more involved (when compared to the DP2M) if optimal correction of chromatic aberration is necessary

• the corners of the DP1M are good, but not as exceptionally good as the DPM. As a measure of corner sharpness, the DP1M needs Unsharp Mask 100%, radius 0.4, threshold 0 wheras the DP2M only needs radius 0.3.

• everything else works just as with the DP2M, including the recommended exposure compensation of +0.7.

Since I like the wider lens a bit more, I prefer the DP1M in spite of the increased postprocessing work for optimal output. But I will of course keep both...

Here are some of my shots. All of them have been processed with SPP (sharpness -2.0, X3F fill-light and exposure compensation as needed), sometime Lightroom 4 for CA correction, Photoshop 5 for CA correction, sometimes Topaz denoise 5 for removal of cyan/magenta blotches in shadow areas, and finally output sharpening as mentioned above in Photoshop. (The mentioned color correction has not always been applied yet...):

In the hope, this answer some of the questions that have been asked,
Greetings,
Robert
--
Robert F. Tobler
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1882500020/photos

Robert F. Tobler's gear list:Robert F. Tobler's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +2 more
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow