ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert F. Tobler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,025Gear list
Like?
First Weekend with the DP1M
Sep 23, 2012

Dear fellow Sigma enthusiasts...

After two days with the Sigma DP1M, here are my observations. I state them in comparison to the DP2M which I own as well:

• whereas the DP2M has a slight green cast (easliy corrected with +2M in SPP), the DP1M has a slight magenta cast (1C+1Y in SPP)

• the DP1M does not seem to suffer from green vignetting at all (there is a slight tendency of the DP2M to suffer from it)

• the DP1M has noticeable chromatic aberration (at least for pixel-peepers such as myself), but it is correctable in software (since Lightroom 4 has no manual mode, I sometimes use both Lightroom 4 and Photoshop 5.5 ca correction)

• the overall workflow for maximising image quality is a bit more involved (when compared to the DP2M) if optimal correction of chromatic aberration is necessary

• the corners of the DP1M are good, but not as exceptionally good as the DPM. As a measure of corner sharpness, the DP1M needs Unsharp Mask 100%, radius 0.4, threshold 0 wheras the DP2M only needs radius 0.3.

• everything else works just as with the DP2M, including the recommended exposure compensation of +0.7.

Since I like the wider lens a bit more, I prefer the DP1M in spite of the increased postprocessing work for optimal output. But I will of course keep both...

Here are some of my shots. All of them have been processed with SPP (sharpness -2.0, X3F fill-light and exposure compensation as needed), sometime Lightroom 4 for CA correction, Photoshop 5 for CA correction, sometimes Topaz denoise 5 for removal of cyan/magenta blotches in shadow areas, and finally output sharpening as mentioned above in Photoshop. (The mentioned color correction has not always been applied yet...):

In the hope, this answer some of the questions that have been asked,
Greetings,
Robert
--
Robert F. Tobler
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1882500020/photos

Robert F. Tobler's gear list:Robert F. Tobler's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow