Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
rickpoole
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM
In reply to BP1984, Sep 23, 2012

BP1984 wrote:

I am looking to buy the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, and am looking for any advice on weather or not I should bite the bullet. For the past 8+ years I have been using the Canon EF 75-300 4-5.6 III USM and have a T2i. I take photos for fun, and am mostly interested in improving my son's baseball photos. The IS lens is more than I am looking to spend. Could the L lens make enough of a difference to justify the purchase? Thanks for any thoughts.

It mostly depends on what you do with your images. If you only view on typical computer monitors and only print them small - 4x6 or 5x7 and don't crop out much you may never notice any difference. But, if you display them on large displays, print them in large sizes, or crop out a lot of the image then you will definitely see a difference. The question is whether it will be enough to be worth the money.

One thing to also keep in mind - even though the IS version is almost twice the price you get improved optics and AF along with IS. The optical improvements are definitely noticeable wide open, especially in the corners and mid-frame. and subtle in the center. Another thing to remembers about good lenses - they keep their value very well. When I started looking at the 70-200L f4 IS two years ago I planned on getting a used one to save money. Two to three year old ones were selling for only $100-200 less than a new one so I opted for the new one with a warranty.

Check out the lens comparison tool on The Digital Picture's website. it lets you compare samples images side by side for two lenses.

rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow