bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,226
Like?
Re: Why insist on FF format?
In reply to illy, Sep 23, 2012

illy wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

OMG, does a day ever go by when m43 fans are not trying to rationalize their choice of gear with comparisons to larger formats?

The problem is the persistence of Olympus' original marketing, when they declared Four Thirds to be the 'Full Frame' of the digital age, and many people have bought into the system because they believed what Olympus said. To be fair to Olympus, it was a good concept, in many ways designed around the idea of 'equivalence' - that is, if you set out to take the same photo, if you can take it, it doesn't intrinsically matter what size the sensor is, the result will be the same, given that digital enlargement is lossless. The problem really is a bit of a lack of vision as to the range of photos people might want to take. In particular, shallow DOF is a look many like, and FT as the system developed cannot go where FF goes, and also people seem to want to take pictures in low light. While FT has achieved its original objective, and easily surpasses 135 film in that respect, it hasn't and will never surpass 135 digital.

However it is a perfectly fine system, and so long as your range of photos fits within it, a very good choice. It's just people want to say Olympus was completely right. They weren't, just mostly right.
--
Bob

i get tired of being told smaller is better, great if that suits the individual, i respect that, but i also expect my choices to be respected, there is no right or wrong.

Precisely. Your money, buy what suits you best.
--
Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow