Imaging-Resource Pentax/Ricoh interview

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ursinho73
Regular MemberPosts: 425
Like?
Re: Ouch !!!
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Sep 23, 2012

Ursinho73 wrote:

Alex, I'm aware that a couple of people claim that Pentax' 645D outsells all other digital medium format cameras combined. However, I've never seen any market share data to back up that claim. So, could you please point me to some information that verifies your statement?

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Consider it an educated guess, if you wish - unfortunately, I don't have sales data.

I'm afraid that that's exactly the answer that was to be expected.

If Leica is third with a 20% share than Pentax can't possibly have more share than all others combined. Actually, their share needs to be below 20%. Taking all other competitors into account, today's market share of Pentax in DMF is most likely in the one-digit territory.

Probably they weren't counting Pentax

Yes, sure, it just has to be like that...

Now, if Leica is on a loss with its DMF offering - and will continue to be so for a couple of years to come - despite having a higher market share, despite being able to ask twice the price of a 645D and despite having costumers than cannot buy system lenses on the used market, well, than the Pentax digital medium format exercise is almost for sure a financial nightmare beyond imagination !

I beg to differ. Pentax has a significant advantage: they were able to share R&D, production and distribution costs with small format cameras.

And how would that be any different for Leica?

I'd bet the 645D is profitable.

Just make sure that your stake money remains in the pennies...

Regards,
Hannes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow