ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skxogus
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Is shallow DOF a phase? asking for advice on my future photography
Sep 23, 2012

Hi guys,

I have been into photography for the past 2 1/2 years and with immense gear envy, I hopped onto FX about 9 month ago (before D800 announcements). Everything I shoot is for myself, church, family and I haven't dipped my hands into any professional shoots as of yet. Just to give a quick intro about my style of shooting, I have been in love with shallow DOF since the beginning. I know that for portraits, with the exception of environmental portraits, shallow DOF is the way to go, but I like shooting other objects with shallow DOF as well. Posted are 6 of my shots all from this year.

My question is, is shallow DOF a phase people go through? I noticed that excessively shallow DOF has started to look "bad" in my eyes, and I am slowly noticing that my f stop is going from f1.4 to f1.8 to f4. Yet, I still absolutely love the subject isolation I get with it. How do you guys feel? Is this just a phase? or is my brain just wired to like these types of photos more. Thank you for your time!

Feel free to comment/criticize any of these pictures as well. The more I learn, the better I"ll become.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow