Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John W  Hall
Regular MemberPosts: 498
Like?
Google Nexus 7 tablet - no USB external storage
Sep 23, 2012

I just bought a Google Nexus 7 (7" Android tablet), primarily persuaded by the general enthusiasm for it on the Web, and my own research. I was planning to use it for viewing camera images in the field. I knew I'd need to buy some small adapters to connect an SD or Micro-SD card to the Nexus' Micro-USB port, so I bought those.

Now I find that the Micro-USB port is not so 'Universal' - connect the SD card and nothing happens. Looked for it with a File Manager app - not there!

So I went for deeper research, and find that connecting external storage is apparently designed to be crippled/forbidden.

There are 'solutions': "root" the Nexus and install Stickmount. But I'm wary of rooting and don't consider that as a solution.

Rumours say that when ASUS developed the Nexus (for Google) it did have a USB port that would provide access to files on an external Flash drive, but Google insisted that capability be removed.

In other respects the Nexus 7 is an appealing device, so now I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or return for a refund.

NB Google spec and description do point out that there is no internal Micro-USB slot - you get either 8 or 16 GB built in, and that there is an external micro-usb port, but it does NOT say that the USB port is not really "Universal".

I feel I have been scammed by Google.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow