bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,193
Like?
Re: OMD Vs D800
In reply to kelly15, Sep 23, 2012

kelly15 wrote:

Serious reply.
Try yourself.
If you have an A4 printer, print a detail of an A2 enlargment.

You will see that with good level M43 primes the result will be extremely close if not equal to FF camera fitted with same level reputation lens.

I'm not speaking for nothing here: I tested OMD with 45 1.8 compared with EOS 5DII with 85 1.8 and the latter was not better at all. Then I decided to change.I will not post here as pixel cunters will object in any case, but as told try yourself.

There is a thing about this - if you have the same pixel count, same efficiency sensor and you compare images taken under 'same photo' conditions - same scene, AOV, DOF shutter speed - then the sensor size does not matter at all, albeit 1/2.4" or 6x7. What does matter is the lens' performance relative to the sensor size - and Olympus and Panasonic do a decent job of using the smaller image circle to give better absolute resolution. You're comparing a 16MP camera with a 21MP camera, which is a linear difference of just 15%, probably not enough to notice. As has been said, where the bigger format gains is that it will take photos the smaller one won't. That and that lenses which produce the same image quality tend to be cheaper.
--
Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow