ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cna
cna
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Photokina/D600 feedback from a D300 user
Sep 23, 2012

I visited Photokina this saturday, and spend some time on Nikon's booth especially testing the new D600. I must say that I'am impressed.

I currently use a D300 (for more than 4 years), and even though I said the contrary on several occasions, I could well trade my D300 for a D600

Coming from the D300, the big advantages for me would be extra DR, and high ISO handling (I would certainly gain 2-3 stops).

D600 AF seems to be at least as fast as my D300 (I could however not really test AF tracking). I've had absolutely no AF hunting during my tests (contrary to tests made with a D800 that sat next to the D600)

Automatic WB also seems to be a big improvement over my D300 (I always shoot Raw but I prefer to have the right WB from the start)

My only 'gripe' is the size of the D600 grip which is too small for my big hands (I can only hold it with 2 fingers); but I guess that adding a MB-14 grip would solve this problem.

I also took a quick look at Canon's new 6D; even though I'm pretty sure it will also be capable of taking great pictures (the card slot was sealed - I guess that the production firmware is not ready yet) , I found that the 6D body had a much more 'plastic' feeling & look than the D600. The 6D also misses some important features for me. I could (and I think I will) trade my D300 for a D600, but not for a 6D

The only thing I would still miss in Nikon's offering is a lightweight high quality 70-200VR4 zoom

Cheers
Phillippe

Canon EOS 6D Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow