Why insist on FF format?

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
kelly15
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing "just happens"
In reply to bobn2, Sep 23, 2012

FF as we consider today survived possibly because it was ideal for film technology.
Good compromise (compromise) between quality and compactness.
Ther is no reason today to consider it the best option for digital.

It was good for the menufacturers because they had the possibility to make use of their current technology at that time: also, lenses were already available, with a very bad quality in general but available. Now we see FF lenses specific for digital and they are big, heavy and expensives. Manufacturers found the compromise of APS-C which apart the commercial convenience is a non sense as it is still heavy bulcky and for quality so so. Only few manufacturers decided to change to a completely new format, possibly ideal for digital, but this was not very well accepted by Nikon, Canon etc which had to continue their businness with what they had availble. They also convinced us that FF is better.
But better for what? To see 100% enlargments on the screen and count the pixels?

Once again, try to make a big print from high quality M43 set up and you will see that there is nothing you may want more. This is the reason why I moved from FF to M43 and I'm really happy for that decison. Possibly I reduced a bit the satisfaction to count pixels but now I have my camera with some lenses always with me and I take many more pictures than in the past. Of course this is only a personal opinion and I do not want convine anyone, this is only to share my thoughts with some friends on the net. I know there is no practical benefit on this kind of discussion, but this is true for most of this forum and other forums posts.

kelly15's gear list:kelly15's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow