ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dan
Dan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371Gear list
Like?
D600 Unexpected AF Priority setting behavior
Sep 23, 2012

When I was playing with my D600, I noticed that sometimes it wouldn't take a picture even though I had my AF settings set to "release priority."

I discovered that the culprit was AF-C. I had my camera set on AF-A, and I guess it decided to choose AF-C based on what it saw. Setting my camera to AF-S solved the problem. This way it won't automatically decide to use AF-C. I NEVER want my camera to not take a picture when I press the shutter release.

Apparently, "release priority" on the D600 isn't really release priority. I haven't tested to see what it actually is. On the D300, there is a "release + focus" setting for AF-C. In AF-C, if the D600 can't focus, it won't let you take a picture even if you have it set to "release priority" for AF-C mode.

Does the D800 have "release + focus" as one of the options for AF-C? If it does, I guess you could say this is one of those missing "pro" features on the D600.

It would seem to make more sense that the priority settings affected both AF-S and AF-C in AF-A mode. The reason is that the photographer may not be aware of which mode the camera has decided to use. This could lead to missed shots because the camera won't let you take a picture.

Maybe they could "fix" this in a future firmware release, giving us the 3rd option of true release priority for AF-C.

Dan's gear list:Dan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +4 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow