a99 lens choice

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
a99 lens choice
Sep 23, 2012

I'm seriously thinking of getting the a99 as soon as it becomes available... I always had only nikon mount cameras (By Nikon and Fuji) - so will have to buy new glass...

My questions (and only reservation from deciding on buying this camera) are as follows:

1. Is there any fast (f2.8) standard zoom (about 24-70) with fast AF motor (has to be quite quiet for video) and satisfying IQ at the 1000 USD price point? I don't think I'll be able to crop up almost 2000USD that the Sony-Zeiss will cost - surely not the 2.5k for the Zeiss.

I saw the Sigma 24-70 is available for the Sony mount but I fear it may not be sharp enough (based on my experience with it on the Nikkor mount - but it's usually not a good idea to judge a lens across systems...)

2. I worry the lack of built-in flash my impact spontaneous shooting - is there a relatively-low-cost, downsized flash unit that can find a home (preferably one that has some sort of LED lighting as well so that it can also double as video light)

3. What can I expect of the battery life? How much will the vertical grip add to it? How well is it built? How much heavier will it make the camera?

Itai42's gear list:Itai42's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +6 more
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow