Dan
Dan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371Gear list
Like?
D600 Strange built-in flash behavior?
Sep 23, 2012

D600

ISO 100
Auto ISO on (Auto min shutter speed, ISO 6400 max)
P mode
Built-in flash
D-Lighting off
Matrix metering

I pointed my camera at someone a few feet from me and took a picture. The ambient lighting came from a 75 watt halogen flood light (directly over the kitchen sink - very dim lighting int he room). The light was behind the subject.

The camera decided to use F8 and ISO 6400!!! What on earth? Can anyone duplicate this on their D600?

I tried a similar shot in the basement with a 40 watt equivalent CFL as a point source light in the background (upper right corner), and the camera chose F6.3 and ISO 5600. I moved the camera around, and it went to F5.6 and the ISO varied in the thousands.

That is some WEIRD behavior. So my questions are: Is this normal? If so, why? Why doesn't it use the maximum aperture?

In a "normally" lit room with the built-in flash, the camera chooses maximum aperture of F4, and the ISO varies from 100 to 400. The ISO climbs even higher as the lighting gets dimmer.

I tried manually focusing but that did not affect the chosen ISO or F-stop. I thought that maybe the subject distance might affect the settings.

With an SB-800 on top, the settings stay fixed at F5.6 and ISO 400. If I recall correctly, on my D300, if I set it to ISO 100, it will use ISO 100 unless it determines that it needs a higher sensitivity. I wonder why Nikon decided to make these changes.

I wish the auto ISO settings had options for flash usage. Maybe a maximum ISO setting for flash pictures.

I may look into using the U1 & U2 settings for flash and no flash use. I don't want it EVER to use ISO 6400 for a flash picture of a person that's only a few feet away.

No real biggie. I can work around these differences.

Dan's gear list:Dan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +4 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow