Alaska - D5100

Started Jun 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
EXDS
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
Re: Alaska - D5100
In reply to upnorth47, Sep 23, 2012

I used OS mode 1 with both bag and monopod. I'd only use a tripod for a hike if you need to shoot long exposures. The Clik Elite bag works well if you need to keep the camera ready to shoot for long periods of time yet still need to be mobile. Monopod works well if you need an unobstructed view while hiking and don't mind setting it up and taking it down.

And thanks, Alaska was really my first opportunity to shoot wildlife but it got me hooked. Hoping that I can travel and shoot some more wildlife soon. If you ever travel back to Alaska, you should see about a Katmai guided tour of the beach or Brooks Falls (especially around salmon season).

upnorth47 wrote:

Thanks for the info on the Clik Elite bag. That's what I was thinking, good idea, but it could be difficult to use when hiking. I'll have to think about it more.

I love the lens. The versatility is great and it's sharp. Did you use your monopod much? That work better hiking instead of a tripod or do you still prefer a tripod? You said you used the OS with the bag and monopod... 1 or 2? The lens and camera will get heavy and with a tripod even heavier that's why I thought the bag was a good idea.

Your bear shots are amazing! I was at Denali back in the 80's and took a bus tour. They would not let the bear get too close to the bus. It was pretty far out and they said they would move on if it got any closer. There are Beware of Bear signs posted all over the Kenai peninsula where we camped. It was in August and the salmon were spawning. I didn't see one as close as you did but that was okay with me. Thanks for sharing with us!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow