Completely Freaked Out!

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Re: yeah
In reply to Matt, Sep 23, 2012

DPP is no doubt a strong tool. I just love using LR3 and now LR4. I know my way through the program and when I am on a deadline sorting through 1000 images the interface doesn't fatigue me.

I only have to "wait" about 2-3 seconds before my images "load" fully. That is with 1000 in the current work flow catalog under develop tab. I have macbook pro (MC026) 4 gb's of ram and 2.66 GHz (T9550) Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn with a 320gb drive. It runs fine on my computer but here are some simple steps that will help it run faster on yours too.

1. Never load your internal Hard Drive over half, I keep mine at aprox 25% this reduces the computer index time and allows for huge stores of Virtual Memory if needed.

2. run your daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts after moving large amounts of data. then restart your computer twice, after that allow your computer to index the drive (the search function will literally index everything for faster acquisition when called upon) this can take 10 mins. Also take note that if you put your computer to sleep and rarely shut it down it can severely affect the performance as it will not run its daily, weekly or monthly maintenance scripts as it normally would during its preset set day upon start up

3. remove all unnecessary items from your desktop. Your computer will use a portion of its memory to allow for you to open items on the desktop faster. every time your mouse goes over an icon it primes that folder, this takes up resources.

4. ONLY run your photo editing software when editing. This will allow all available CPU and Memory to be available for the task at hand.

here is a screen shot of how much free memory my computer had on my last edit. Granted my firefox is opening (I was uploading a batch to the web thats why its so heavy) but this will show you how much LR4 was using. for a bit I went down to 4 mb free RAM.

this is what I was doing shortly there after (for the sake of my sanity I only did one third of the photos at a time)

-- hide signature --

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow