Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
john phot
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
60D retarded dial mode lock design - there are better solutions
Sep 23, 2012

First, a power switch lock is far more useful than a mode lock.

Second, instead of putting a button in the middle, they could simply put one on the edge of the dial, which you then push into the plane of the dial, just like the one I have on my old Elan II. You don't have to use extra fingers to unlock the dial on the Elan, because you can press the button with two finger while pinching the dial.

Now on the Elan the mode dial was also the switch, but it disengaged once you were in modes. So it didn't act as a mode lock.

Canon could simply tweak this design to have the lock engage also between modes. This way you get a lock for the power switch as well as for the modes, without being annoying like the center button of the 60D that requires an extra finger.

I guess not all the wisdom and knowledge of their designers gets transferred from one generation to the next. Canon used to know how to design a lock on the mode dial that was not intrusive at all.

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow