Why insist on FF format?

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,494
Like?
Re: Why insist on FF format?
In reply to kelly15, Sep 22, 2012

A year ago I would have agreed that FF would shrink to a niche market - maybe even 6 months ago I would have thought that.

Not now, not with very competent FF cameras coming to market at $2,100 - likely to be discounted below $2,000 within 6 months. Not to mention Sony going into FF, which could push Canon and Nikon to offer even more for even less money. They already push each other hard, but Sony can up the pressure if they want to.

Meanwhile, this afternoon I am setting up files for exhibition prints. The 12x16 inch prints from m4/3 are nice, very nice. Pretty much as nice as anything I ever made from medium format film, getting close to 4x5 quality. But looking at them up close I know they could be better.

How much better would FF make them? Don't know. Would the difference be worth the money and the effort? Don't know that either. What I do know is that I plan to find out, which is to say at some point I will buy a FF camera and at least one fine lens. Then within a few months I'll know.

I suspect a lot of folks, professional and amateur, are in the same position right now. A year from now we'll know a lot more. Until then I'm retracting my predictions about the death of FF - it looks very much alive.

Gato

Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at:
Silver Mirage Gallery:
http://www.silvermirage.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow