Why insist on FF format?

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,224
Like?
Re: Why insist on FF format?
In reply to kelly15, Sep 22, 2012

kelly15 wrote:

There is no reason at all, unless you are a pro, and a very spacialized pro.

There are significant reasons. But the reasons might not be of importance to everyone.

To say what needs to be said first, everything mFT can do, it does as well as 135FF will do. But 135FF does things that mFt as a system will not do.

i) Lenses. I have a 50/1.4. Small and cheap. Does the same thing as a 25/0.7 on mFT. You can't get one. So, if you need or want that shallow DOF and that lower noise in low light, the mFT will not provide it. If you don't want to do those things mFT is fine, and is cheaper and smaller.

ii) Lenses. I have a 14-24/2.8. Big and expensive, but does the same thing as a 7-12/1.4 on mFT. You can't get one. See the above.

iii) Lenses. I have a 100-300/4. Quite big, not too expensive, but does the same thing as a 50-150/2 on mFT. You can't get one. You can get a 35-100/2 via an adaptor. It is both much bigger and much more expensive than my 100-300/4

iii) Pixels. I have 36 million. That will extract more detail from a lens than the 16 million that is the maximum you can get from mFT. That means bigger prints or tighter crops.

But, all those things cover maybe 5% of all the photos one takes. If its an important 5% for you, then you'll want 135 FF. If it isn't, you'll ask why you paid so much money, why you can't fit a decent kit in the corner of a suitcase or briefcase. Being smaller and lighter is an important advantage, you don't have to pretend the others don't exist. The old saying is 'horses for courses'.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DOFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow