Hogan's Photokina: DX/APS-C sure looks forelorn.

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,049Gear list
Like?
Hogan's Photokina: DX/APS-C sure looks forelorn.
Sep 22, 2012

From Hogan's Trend page on his Photokina report:

"What I hope upon hope is that I'll wake up after the photo-related shows in early 2013 [to] find that we've got a D5200, D7200, and D400. That we've got a 16-85mm f/4 lens. That we've got a 16mm f/2.8 or better lens. That we've got WiFi across the line and someone has figured out that you need to do more than add the technology. That we've got new, interesting, and useful options in this range that make us excited about APS/DX again.

Because if I don't wake up to learn those things, then APS/DX is indeed dying. Dying by being choked by its own makers. "

The point being, both in the booth and outside it, that DX now appears to be viewed as a value play rather than a primary thrust of product development. Mirrorless, FX, and video are clearly the manufacturer's main interest, and in directing development money to these lines, they are perhaps inadvertently prematurely killing the core of their enthusiast product lines. There will be more iterations of the DX product line, but the lack of new DX products may not be solely due to the Pacific Rim Earthquakes and Floods.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Nikon D40 Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow