Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
1 Old Bob
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
D600 DXO vs Real World
Sep 22, 2012

That new Nikon D600 test makes my EOS 7D and EOS 20D look like they're candidates for donation to Good Will. I'm ready to box them up, but a magizine article I read years ago gives me pause. Please, smart folks, advise me. Could it be that the 40%+ improvement in DXO scores wouldn't result in a significant increase in quality of the prints I'd hang on my walls?

That old article said something like, "Your eye can visualize a scene on a sunny day that has a contrast ratio of 10,000 to 1. The film in your camera can capture only 1,000 to 1. The paper print will only show 300 to 1."

I'm a raw shooter, so I can (I think) optimize dynamic range and contrast for each frame I capture. So what do you advise? Should I spring for that new Nikon, or will I be just as well off with what I've got?

My photo interests are primarily landscape and portrait, although I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to shoot some glamour!

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow