17mm f/2.8 Zuiko vs 19mm f/2.8 Sigma

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
Re: 17mm f/2.8 Zuiko vs 19mm f/2.8 Sigma
In reply to bienenbernd, Sep 22, 2012

bienenbernd wrote:

And my contribution is: I would look at the color rendering too when I have to choose a lens. For example: I did not buy the Pana 20mm lens but decided for the Olympus 17mm pancake which was said to be less sharp. But the output is more appealing IMHO.

The analogy doesn't really hold true though; you can't change the way a lens draws as easily as you can change it's natural colour tint - it's a matter of WB.

Sure the colours may - will - look different from one lens to another, but an overall colour cast is simply bad WB and there's no compelling reason to reject a lens simply because it doesn't have the exact WB as some other lens.

None of my lenses has the same WB as any other, although the Olympus 45 and Panasonic 14 are most similar and the 14-45 not too far off. On the other hand the Olympus 12-50 requires a completely different WB to avoid a colour cast.

PS: I'd choose the Olympus 17 over the Sigma 19 anyway, but not for reasons of colour rendering.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow