Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sharpdart
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Considering a switch to Pentax from Nikon
Sep 22, 2012

Recently I had to sell my Nikon D90 and lenses for financial reasons. Now that things are in the clear, I miss having a camera. I have always been impressed with the look and feel of Pentax cameras, especially the K5 and K30, but have had reservations over the overall IQ and handling of the cameras. I am looking to spend roughly $1300 total for a body and lenses.

First, is the previous K5 focus that much of a problem that needed to be updated to a K5ii? Is it worth the upgrade for vacation and street shooting (I don't have kids and do not photograph sports)?

Also, as much as I fell in love with the K30, the shutter has a pretty distinct sound (i.e. loud compared to my D90 and previous D40). Any thoughts on street shooting with that the K30 with the shutter sound?

Lastly, one of the main reasons why Pentax impresses me is because of their compact primes, especially the 15mm, 21mm and 43mm. While everyone boasts that you can use older prime lenses with the D90, I didn't find the wider lenses all that great. Have any former Nikon users had better experience with the Pentax primes?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow