Katzeye (options and recomposition question)

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Josh Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
Katzeye (options and recomposition question)
Sep 22, 2012

I am about to order a Katzeye for my D7000, but have a few questions before I order it. I will be using it on a D7000 with fast, prime lenses (2.8 and under). I do own both of the kit zooms (18-55 and 55-200 VR), but will be selling these with my D60. I currently do a lot of MF and use the focus indicator. However, sometimes the focus indicator is not that reliable and I have to take my eye of the subject to look at the indicator to verify focus. With that, I would like to take MF more into my own hands by purchasing a split-screen such as the Katzeye.

Questions:

• Should I get the OptiBrite coating? I think I should, but per the Katzeye website, they say you dont get much of a benefit if using faster lenses.

• One fear that I have with the screen is the area in the "matte" (ground glass portion). I would be using this screen to gain focus on the subjects face, then recompose. My fear is that the object in focus would then be in the "matte" area and therefore, difficult to truly assess for the perfect moment. I guess my main question is, just how "hazy" are objects in the "matte" area. This may sway me away from the purchase.

Josh Jones's gear list:Josh Jones's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +2 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow