Auto ISO on Rebel XS (Considering It for Snapshooting Wife)

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?
Auto ISO on Rebel XS (Considering It for Snapshooting Wife)
Sep 22, 2012

I am considering a second-hand Rebel XS I've seen for sale locally ($175 with the 18-55mm IS) for my wife to use. I'm very well versed with working DSLRs, but my wife just "points & shoots." My question: how does auto ISO work? On my Nikon D5100 you get two settings in auto ISO--max ISO allowed, and a minimum shutter-speed as a "goal." Thus, if I specify auto ISO of 1600 and a minimum shutter speed of 1/125 second, then auto ISO doesn't intervene until the shutter speed would dip below 1/125 second at the set ISO value, and it will allow it to crank ISO up to 1600 to achieve a shutter-speed of 1/125 second.

I've searched everywhere for clarification on how auto ISO works on the Rebel XS, but I can't find anything. Also: in the reviews, it said the automatic AF point selection (AiAF?) is unreliable, so just use the center, but for someone like my wife, I can see her having the center AF go in-between the subject & miss everything, I'm inclined to think the AiAF will still be best for her.

Again, she's someone who just "point & shoots," honestly something like a micro 4/3rds would be better for her--I even tried to get her to use a Panasonic GF3 I got for cheap, but she seems to want to use an SLR for some reason, I guess she just doesn't take the camera seriously without the "peephole" and the "hump" I guess.

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow