Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,109Gear list
Like?
XP-1 pics taken while dove hunting on the family farm this week
Sep 22, 2012

Chase at work spotting incomers. The little bugger has better eyes than I do and he doesn't get bored as quickly - he's my early dove alert system. The problem is that a bird is a bird to Chase, so I get alerted for everything from buzzards to swifts.

Miss Maggie doing her thing. In her 14th season, she still gets so excited at the prospect of a dove getting knocked out of the sky that she quivers with intensity as she looks for birds.

It amazes me how the dogs understand that we are looking for birds passing by in dove season, not pushing cover to find birds as we do 99% of the time.

A few scenes around the farm: View from one of my dove "hides":

No lack of this stuff despite the drought - one of the benefits of really good soil. Should be a good harvest this year.

When I was young, every farm had a bull and you knew to be real careful of them when entering a field to hunt. These days, very few farms keep intact bulls anymore for all sorts of sound economic and safety reasons. This guy is an exception. You do NOT want to somehow end up on the same side of the fence with him, If you do, you'd best have your running shoes on and be very good at vaulting fences because he's anything but placid and much quicker than he looks - or make sure you have a buddy who runs slower than you do. The dogs hate all bovines (buffalo, cattle, etc) almost as much as that particular bull hates them - BUT they are much faster than me - don't ask how I know this.

Alfalfa and corn on the farm. From this hill, you can see the mountain where we live in the far distance. It's still too warm to suit me, but I'm starting to smell fall on the air now.

Hope you enjoyed coming along.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow