Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions. /1

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dan Clark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,703Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions. /1
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Sep 22, 2012

Aleo,

First, many thanks for your review. It adds value to the known information about the camera and confirms other preliminary reviews. As a long-time u4/3 user whose level-headed posts have added value to hundreds of threads, your honest impressions are very valuable to me.

I especially liked your feedback about size and handling. There's a lot of noise on the forum about how the GH3 is "HUGE". Specs say differently, but it good to get real user feedback.

As I've posted elsewhere, my experience with my GH2 is that it's a very good camera, but has some "warts":

• DR and IQ that's good but not great

• Low light noise could be improved

• Some controls are a bit small and oddly placed

• Odd still/video UI integration issues

• Video limitations like no 1080/60P and no higher bit rate options

• Audio idiosyncrasies like 2.5mm mic plug, no headphone jack, and inability to disable AGC

So my GH3 questions are related to the GH2 issues...

• The GH2's control knobs on top of the camera are a bit difficult to work with - small, overloaded, and close to the hump and other controls. It LOOKS like the GH3's control knobs are much better. How did you find them? How easy/difficult was it to set the knobs?

• Control wheel/rocker on the back. It's very difficult to see in the pics and video, but it appears that the control wheel both rotates AND rocks. Is that correct? How did you like that? How was it to use? Fast/slow? Easy/difficult?

• One major gripe that I have with the GH2 is the shutter and video buttons. In some video settings, pressing either will stop and start the video. And in some settings, pressing the video button will start taking video, but pressing the shutter button will NOT take a still image. With the GH3, how do the shutter button and video button work? Is the shutter button limited to stills and the video button limited to video? While capturing a video, does hitting the shutter button always take a pic regardless of video mode? Find any issues?

• Another GH2 issue is that video and still settings seem to be combined in odd ways. Are the GH3's video and still settings stored separately? When you store the video settings, switch to still mode, and when you switch back to video, are the video settings unchanged?

I understand that some of these questions may be difficult to answer since you've only used the GH3 for a few hours, but I would very much like your opinions.

Thanks and regards,

Dan.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AleoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow