Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PBee
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
My experience with G1X
Sep 22, 2012

Back in June I bought a G1X to replace my Pro 1 before heading off on a three month trip through Asia and Europe. I was excited by the promise of better IQ combined with portability (compared with a dSLR) and when I managed to get one for just under $590 AUD (tax free) from an Australian website, it was too good to pass up.

So now I'm back home with nearly 1,300 images (I shot in RAW+Jpeg so didn't go berserk) my thoughts on the G1X as a travel/carry everywhere camera.

First, of course, is the image quality. Looking at the stuff I shot I'm very happy as I'm just your average camera buff who occasionally gets a "keeper" worth turning into a poster for the wall. Much of the stuff is of family but there's also a lot of the usual landscape and travel images from Singapore, UK, Spain and Norway. I think I've got a few that will do nicely but I now know they would have been further improved with a CP filter so I've just ordered two adaptors from Lensmate with a Hoya filter pack.

There's been a lot of comment on how best to carry the G1X and I found, in both the heat and humidity of Singapore and rain and sleet of the Norwegian fiords, that around your neck on the standard strap is fine. I was on the lookout for a belt bag but have decided not to bother. The camera's not too heavy and not too bulky so that it can be zipped up inside a jacket if you're wearing one. That's especially useful when it's wet but you want the camera to be available quickly. I took shots in the swirling, misty rain coming off a big waterfall in Norway and it hasn't affected it.

I did have problems with focusing at times, especially into misty, cloudy areas. Once or twice it simple refused to lock on until I picked out another area, usually the ground, with enough definition.

I found the standard lens hood does the job but will become redundant when I get the filters. Just a tip, though. It's probably best to hang it from the right hand side of the strap (looking from the back) as the lanyard can jam inside the hinge of the screen. I'm also looking for a good screen cover so that I can leave it open but protected from scratches. Any tips from from experience on which is best?

I also bought a spare battery at Singapore airport and carried it in my pocket but never needed to change during a day's shooting.

I'd also love the camera to have an EVF (the one from the Pro 1 would be perfect) and find the swivel screen to be indispensable.
cheers

I'd post some pix but I have no idea what's required in terms of sizing. Some guidance would be good.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow