Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tom37NZ
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
A 57 jpegs, and SAL 18250 lense
Sep 22, 2012

I am considering upgrading from a good point and shoot to my first DSLR with one all purpose lense. However, before I buy the A 57, and the lense, I would be very grateful if existing A 57 owners could answer 2 questions.

1. Is there a problem with jpegs in the A 57? The recent dpreview described them as mediocre and soft, but I see that the reviewers used the default setting. Mark Goldstein in his Photography Blog Review of the A 57 noted that they were a little soft straight out of the camera but said that they could be easily fixed in photoshop, or in camera by altering the camera setting. He took all his sample images on the jpeg fine setting and described the image quality of the A 57 generally as "excellent". Have you found a problem with jpegs in the A 57 and, if so, can it be fixed in camera simply by changing to the jpeg fine setting?

2. I am keen to avoid the inconvenience and weight of multiple lenses and am most interested in the Sony SAL 18-250mm lense, which I would leave permanently on the A 57. However I gather that most long-range lenses are weakest at their wide-angle end, and this is relevant to me because, while I would like a good travel lense, most of my shots would be taken at the wide-angle end. Have existing SAL 18250 owners found this lense to be satisfactory at the wide-angle end? I don't mean in terms of every technical perfection, but in terms of providing a reasonable picture that provides a worthwhile record of your holiday.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow