ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,489Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-E1 Impressed me at Photokina...
Sep 21, 2012

Hi,

So, the things I was most excited about before Photokina? The Sony RX1 (tho could never afford it), the Sony NEX6 and the Fuji X-E1.

Having returned to my hotel room, I come away with these thoughts:

I was underwhelmed by the NEX6, tho love focus peaking with manual lenses (the Zeiss display was great for this!)
The Sony RX1..... Wasn't available to try, gutted

And onto the final part of my day, and before get to the Fuji, the surprise element of my day... The Olympus OM-D. Wow, what a great camera, stunning AF speed and precision, lovely to look at, a fantastic EVF and generally nice camera to use, even more so with the battery grip. So I walk away massively surprised and wondering if I may be making a surprise return to M4/3. But first, I must see the Fuji...

Just quickly, I had a Fuji X100 over a yea ago - iI loved the lens and IQ, but got very frustrated by a few too man things and eventually sold it. The reason I was so keen to try the XE-1 was the lenses.

So I waited patiently, excitedly, until finally I got my chance. A black X-E1 with the 35 1.4 and honestly, it was love at first touch. I mean this combination, of small camera and effectively 50mm 1.4 lens just felt great. The AF was a massive improvement over the X100, the EVF was great, the feel of the camera a joy to behold. Was it as technically perfect as the OM-D? Possibly not, but it just felt right and. As so pleased they'd sorted the AF out. I was beaming with a massive grin and just kept saying "Seriously, this is great!"

Later on I returned and had another go, this time with the 18 f2 on a different camera. The AF missed a few times, but the EVF on this camera seemed flickery and a bit dodgy, so I'll put it down to that. What was really cool too was that they also had on the shelf lots of X-Pro1 and X-E1s with Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses on them. I particularly enjoyed the Voigtlander 75 1.8.

All in all I just felt that the camera was a much more finished product than the X100, and think with the lenses it makes for a fantastic system. When I get home I'll be able to upload a few shots that I got on my SD card.
Time for bed now, my feet hurt!
--
http://www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow