My friend & colleage @ work is thinking of leaving Pentax please advise?

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lonewolf69
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,339Gear list
Like?
My friend & colleage @ work is thinking of leaving Pentax please advise?
Sep 21, 2012

FYI – I have a friend at work here in NYC. He’s been a Pentax user for about a few years and recently had to ship his K5 out to Pentax for repairs due to No shutter fire, unit freezing up, and battery depletion issue. He’s fed up with Pentax and the games they are playing with his K5 and is looking to switch, I suggested that the K5 is still a great camera with in body stabilization and they are now offering the K5 MKII so Pentax is in it for the long haul.

I did manage to convince him to stay on because it would be cost prohibitive for him to switch, but with the interview between Barney Britton (dpreview) and John Carson (Pentax), he’s beginning to waffle again (see partial replies from interview below). He’s good friend and I hate to see him spend money haphazardly so I figured, I post it here on the forum to see if anyone has any helpful hints about:

• K5’s Freeze, no shutter activation, battery depletion issues

• Pentax repair facility taking over 7 weeks to replay reflex mirror assembly, are they really back ordered by that many units?
• Sticking with Pentax/Ricoh and the K-Mount

Any advice info you could provide to my friend would be extremely helpful, thank you!

Is there room for a higher-end Pentax K-mount DSLR?

We have the 645D, and Pentax is dedicated to that system, but whether there's room between the K-5 cameras and the 645, I can't say.
Will there be a full-frame K-mount model in the future?
All I can say is that we're studying the market.

-- hide signature --

-Alex

From the minds of Minolta to the imagination of Sony, Alpha, like no other.

http://www.pbase.com/lonewolf69

lonewolf69's gear list:lonewolf69's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Pentax 645D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow