Lumix DMC-GH3 specs: IBIS, focus peaking, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 video?

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Francis Carver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Lumix DMC-GH3 specs: IBIS, focus peaking, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 video?
Sep 21, 2012

IBIS: Looks like only Olympus and Panasonic make M43 camera, do all Olympus M43 model have in-body image stabilization (like what the Sony Alphas and NEX camera use)? And on the Panasonic side, do some of their M43 cameras have IBIS, or all of them are in-lens only?

FOCUS PEAKING in EVF and/or LCD: The $670 Sony SLT Alpha 57 has this nifty feature, so I am wondering if $1,300 DMC-GH3 also has it or not?

Finally, HDMI output in active (recording) mode. Seems like GH3 has this (like A99, D800, D600), but is it in true uncompressed 8-bit color and 4:2:2 chroma, or is it only 4:2:0 subsampled chroma quality? Nikon specs distinctly state 4:2:2, I believe, so I am not sure what the GH3 will have, since the camera's specs on the Panasonic web site is mute on this. Also not certain if 72Mb/sec bitrate is VBR maximum or constant?

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GH3KBODY?t=specs

U.S. specs only talk of 24, 30 & 60fps frame rates, so does this mean that the GH3 will not be a worldwide-use camera also able to do 50 Hertz frequencies (25p, 50p)? It will have an NTSC version and a separate PAL version, or what?

BTW, I think the GH3 is just the right physical size & weight and simply amazing for the low price, especially compared to A99 & D600. In video, it records in 4 different codecs, your choice -- MP4, MOV Intraframe, AVCHD 1, AVCHD 2. Which other camera in the world can do that? All-I is the cat's miaw compared to IPP & IPB Long GO, of course.

However, the short film "Genesis" that was allegedly done w. a pre-prod copy of the GH3 is pretty awful IMO, both technically and artistically. Hopefully Panny did not pay too much money for it. I trust the camera can do a heckuva lot better than that for videos.

Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow