FoCal microadjust on EF-100mm macro - strange results

Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
syraz
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: FoCal microadjust on EF-100mm macro - strange results
In reply to photonius, Sep 21, 2012

Thanks Miroslav and Photonius for your responses.

Miroslav, I'm sorry that FoCal crashed on you and had to be uninstalled/reinstalled and you had to resort to system restore. If it is of any comfort, I calibrated 5 lenses and FoCal Pro crashed twice. They weren't serious enough, though, as to necessitate reinstallation of the program. Terminating the running process and restarting the programme was sufficient for me. I guess FoCal is still very buggy at this stage.

Photonius, many thanks for your detailed explanation. For me, although FoCal did not work the way I had initially thought it would with my 5D3/100macro combo, the final resolution that it afforded me was quite pleasant. Calibrating the 100mm at its usual working distance (6-12 inches) did not make any difference BUT in a way that is good - because it means that the lens is (at macro distances) 'largely immune' from back/front focussing issues (for no matter what values I dial in the focus is still right). And, for the occasional portrait shot on the 100mm at say 10 to 15 feet away, FoCal's calibration of +15 corrects the back focus that otherwise exists at that particular distance. So, it's like the best of both worlds in the most unanticipated manner.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow