first dslr on a budget

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
GeoffH
Regular MemberPosts: 222
Like?
Re: first dslr on a budget
In reply to si1969, Sep 21, 2012

The D50 is old by DSLR standards. The controls are nice, but the LCD display will be lacking compared to newer cameras. It does have a drive motor in the body, which is good for non AF-S lenses. The D90 is the D50 replacement, and the D7000 is the D90 replacement.

Speaking of lenses, that will be a big part of your budget if you are planning on doing airshows. The cheapest Nikon lens suitable for airshows would be the 55-300, the next step up being the 70-300 (which I use).

Since the D50 is long out of production, you would be buying one used. Personally, I wouldn't go with a D50 unless you got it for almost free. If you can swing it, go for a factory-refurbished D5100 with some decent lenses. The 18-55VR is a great starter lens for close up work, but you'll need something with 300mm or longer for anything like airshows.

si1969 wrote:

I'd like to move to a dslr after using Panasonic FZ "bridge" cameras.

I'm attracted by a used d50 or similar, and then noticed that a d3100 isn't much more money. What are the pros and cons please?

I'll be using it for family portraits and the odd airshow.

thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow